Continuing last week’s rant about focusing on stuff that’s boring to you but important to donors, my writing idol Jeff Brooks published this list today of steps you can take to build donor trust.
Have you heard it all before? Probably? Are you doing all of these things? Unlikely.
Jeff’s list (lifted verbatim):
- Be specific about what you’re asking the donor to do. Glittery abstractions don’t build trust.
- Show your bona fides with watchdog organization.
- Be transparent. Show donors how to get in touch with a human, see your annual report and audited financials, have a physical address.
- Acknowledge gifts promptly.
- Report back on the impact of their giving.
- Don’t make errors with your donors’ data.