Community — the word is bandied about in digital channels like sauce at a BBQ picnic. But what is it really? Here are five traits I think are necessary for me to feel like I’m part of a community:
- Members know me and I know them — with varying degrees of familiarity.
- There is a sense of mutual purpose.
- There are clear and articulated ways for members to engage.
- There are sustained communications that are both centrally-driven and distributed amongst the membership itself.
- There is a sense of mutual identity.
What am I missing? How do you create community for your donors?